Saturday, August 22, 2009

Peyton Place withdrawal...

By Mike Worley

I guess I'm supposed to put that "intro" on each blog for the Facebook feed, so folks will know who is shoveling what amount of crap today, and decide if they want a plate full. Well...here's my stinky pile for today!

Most of the time on my days' off from the park, I just go numb. Sleep generally. But I actually picked up a pencil and began doodling. Albeit to dvd episodes to "Peyton Place."

As a kid, the world stopped each week at the insistance of my mother because "Peyton Place" was on tv. It wasn't wise too suggest changing channels, either. Not happenin'! So there was no way of escaping the world of the MacKenzies and the Harringtons.

Stupidly, and on a lark, my wife and I picked up the dvd sets and began watching those episodes. And I got hooked, ashamed as I am to admit it. Now I'm at the mercy of the Shout! Factory, hoping that season 2, vol. 1 is right around the corner.

Here's a doodle I did of Dorothy Malone, as "Constance MacKenzie," with her photo for comparison...



One character that stood out for me was Leslie Harrington. This was all before the villains got all the press. Before JR Ewing made being the bad guy chic. So Paul Langton who played Harrington got smaller billing and in the end credits. Here's my sketch and his pic...



In the best vernacular, Leslie Harrington is what would best be described as a "prick." I'm not sure how to best define this. I have had encounters with folks described in other terms. A boss I worked for once said there are 2 kinds of people in the world, one kind he described by using the slang expression for an "anal opening," and the other as slang for "barnyard fowl excrement." That particular boss, most described as a prick. In the end, he was more the "barnyard fowl excrement." BID.

I may work up a piece of artwork with the "Peyton Place" crew. Anyone out there interested in owning one?

No comments: