Monday, December 14, 2009

Findin' some time to draw...

by Mike Worley

The one thing I hate about the "holidays" and getting ready for them is how much they cut into "Mike time." But I have done a little bit of sketching. Nothing monumental, but at least the pencil met paper.

I loved the way John Byrne drew Superman. Dan Jurgens, too. But as most of my generation, it is the "Curt Swan" Superman which will always have my heart. And both Byrne's and Jurgens' versions of the character had a wink of an homage to Swan's take without sacrificing their own styles. But of late, I've been looking at Wayne Boring's Superman and have gained a new appreciation for his style and take on the character. I misjudged his abilities greatly.

With that in mind, I drew a sketch using that barrel-chested anatomy Boring used. It was fun, and haven't done anything "superhero-ish" in a while...


I've disappointed in movies of late that I've gone to. One in particular was Planet 51. Loved the designs and the animation, didn't care for the story. It just didn't gel. But one pet peeve was the underusage of Jessica Biel, who lent her voice to the female lead. Ms Biel is one of the most stunningly beautiful actresses in the world--IMHO. And granted, it is a "cartoon," and her character is an "alien." But still, they could've made her animated character hotter. So I did my own take, as it were...


I wish producers would finally realize that 3D animation won't save a bad story, or weak story.

Gotta go. T'Ohwaii is whining and wanting to go to bed.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

of course you redrew the sexy girl...what a novel idea!