Wednesday, December 30, 2009

New Year's Eve Eve...

by Mike Worley

I have an insane fondness for kitsch. It drives my wife crazy, whether it's collecting minor league ballcaps with funky logos, or the crazy statuary that can be found. Kitsch. And convenience store kitsch is the best. At BETO Junction on I-35, I found these resin cast figurines that represent fruits and/or vegetables shaped into cartoony animals. My grandmother used to collect "owls." I don't really know why, and I have a couple from her collection that survived after she passed away. Maybe this will seed my own collection(?) BID. Becky preferred the wienie dog shaped from peppers. I bought the owl...


It inspired me enough to drag out some Sculpy and try my own hand at fashioning some stuff. This is going to be a "Christmas" ornament for a friend of mine. And yes, it is a work in development. He has a paper version, but maybe this will be considered part of the $20 bucks he sent in years ago to get a lifetime supply of "slack"...


I also finished a drawing for a church member, having him tell me exactly what it was he wanted and I drew it right then and there. Here's the final inked and lettered version of his "little man"...

He tells me he's had a "gospel tract" written for about 30 years and was just needing the right artwork for it. Some "little man" image from the '50's had stuck in his head and that's what he wanted for his tract. It's still my own image, though.

I also finished an inked version of a "faun girl." She's an offshoot from the "fantasy princesses" piece I did earlier this year. And like a lot of my artwork, it sat on my drawing board waiting for me as my time was swept up by duties at Worlds of Fun. Anyway, here she is...


I'll be overseeing a caricature and face painting gig New Year's Eve. But I do hope to post some last thoughts on 2009.

"Leilah Tov!"

No comments: