Friday, May 7, 2010

...gooey goodness...

The last leg of my journey last week from Cleveland to Columbus took my boss, Brad, and I to a special place with nothing but Smuckers and other Pillsbury products...
Photobucket
...complete with tagline...
Photobucket
...and the entrance to fatguy paradise...
Photobucket
...lard and sugar...the diabetic's best friend...

But what intrigued me was a display of "Poppin' Fresh," the Pillsbury Doughboy!...
Photobucket
You see, years ago I met a comic book "Golden Ager" named, Martin Nodell. For comics fans, he's known as the creator of the golden age "Green Lantern." After retiring from comics and heading into advertising, one of the accounts he worked on was Pillsbury, and he designed "Poppin Fresh." Here's a sketch he did for a fan...
Photobucket
...and he also created a funny animal character for comics called the "Terrific Whatzit"...
Photobucket

Both Marty and Carrie Nodell are gone now. They were two of the nicest folks I ever knew, and I'm proud and pleased to have been able to call them "friends." I miss them...
Photobucket

...but all the good memories came back upon seeing this icon, and I couldn't resist having my picture taken with the Pillsbury Doughboy. Haven't figured out yet how I morphed into a bowlegged fat man...
Photobucket
We ended our rambling roadtrip by pigging out at an Amish restaurant, before having to get serious about making it to the Columbus airport.

Next up...musing on my daughter's graduation from college, and "Veronica Mars"...

No comments: