Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Sometimes the "Dragon" wins...sometimes...

This past weekend found me in both familiar and unfamiliar territory. Labor Day is one of the tougher weekends usually because of its proximity to schools back in session. And staffing issues were there a bit.

It also signaled the end of the season for Oceans of Fun, and I'd have to say that I preferred its atmosphere to Worlds of Fun, for the most part. Most would try to paint me a bit of a lech because of the amount of exposed flesh there, but in truthfulness it had better music, a different excitement, a staff with a different mentality, and I felt somewhat more welcome there. We did well there this season, and I'm proud of the efforts of all involved.

It had become a habit of mine to take some time and soak my feet in one of the pools while the staff began to get ready for closing. Take some time to relax a bit before helping them wrap things up. And it was strange to find myself weeping a bit at the finality of the season's end. Last time to splash my feet around.

The weekend also provided for the usual tension that is at our household during this time. My wife goes out of town and I'm left alone and with the dogs to care for. I don't blame her as I wasn't home a lot during the season except to sleep. But the "dragon" was clawing at me, and it was capped with having to take the cat to the vet. He had been hobbling around a lot. Being 17 years old, we figured he was just slowing down, but of late he just wasn't "with it." She and I argued as to the best course. The vet said he needed to be catheterized, but might not survive the procedure...translation: "maybe you should put him down." I told her and the vet I was tired of being the one to hold down a family pet while it was being killed. It takes too much out of me. I could live with him dying while having a procedure done that might make him better. He'd always been rather tough, so I could see him pulling through. One last fight on Saturday before she headed out to her sister's, and I was just waiting on the vet to call me.

He did. And it wasn't with good news.

A mass in his bladder would just cause the problem to continue and would eventually kill him. So I, again, got to put a pet down, and it hurt. Still does. Here he is in happier times...

The "dragon" won this past weekend, and I hurt a lot. Not just the vet thing, but issues at work and personal things. Fortunately, there were enough things that needed my attention that it kept me busy.

One of the kids, one of the "Kansas Kids" as they have been identified, had been bugging me to draw him. I guess I'd shot off my mouth about WF's "Big Bash" and being a volunteer at the splash tank, and that I would give some sort of prizes to those who could put me in the water. The first year I did the splash tank I only got dunked once. Last year in a 10 minute segment, I only went in 3 times, so I felt pretty safe with the odds. But this year I got dunked about 8/9 times in 10 minutes! Sheesh!!! Where's the love?

Any way, Brendan wanted me to draw his caricature as "Superman," and I'm thankful he bugged me enough to draw. It felt good, so here is the finished piece...


One program I did this year was called "Top Gun," at the Front Gate Photo stands. The reward is an airbrushed hat to be worn while being "top gun" that week, and I display a caricature of them(not a photo). In theory, it would help to cross plug the other operations at the park, and had some success. At Oceans of Fun, the "top gun" seemed to be cursed in that virtually none of the winners were there the next week to strut their stuff, save about one.

One girl in particular, Gena, went on vacation the next week. She also is one who I can't seem to get a handle on her likeness, and it is frustrating. She's also into comics and was one of the first "body" drawings I did for "Top Gun." Of course after that, they ALL wanted body drawings. Here's my first "top gun" drawing of her. It's close, but not. Her brother said I made her look like Sarah Palin...


As it turned out, she won "top gun" again, but left for college this past week. I got closer this time, particularly with the hair color, but the face and jawline are too narrow. I drew another one of her(as "Medusa" from the Inhumans,) but my camera is jacked up so I don't have a picture and sent it on too her. Here what the "Top Gun" display looked like at Oceans of Fun with her caricature...


...and a closer view of the drawing...


If I have one gripe about my Ocean's experience it would be over a parking space. "You can park in a visitor's spot..." But I'm not a visitor...the name tag says "manager." "You're not over here often enough..." Sorry, but I'm over here every day. In fact, more than other staffers...you get the point.

But I made up a sign to "claim" a spot. Here's what it looked like...


The kids seem to have a handle on things better than I. They have a purpose this time of year. I feel like I'm spinning my wheels. I hate being at the park by myself doing stuff, mostly maintenance and counting things. Shuffling paper. Kim came out to help me a bit the other day, and it felt good to have someone else there. Someone to talk to. Ray came out too and it made things easier. Taryn and others have all offered to help out. I really do appreciate it. They all seemed to know I was hurting a bit.

Tonight I saw a movie with my wife, and Thursday I will take my daughter to Starlight to see a "Beatles" tribute. I resigned from teaching Sunday School...time for a change. And I've pulled out some drawings that have been sitting around begging for completion. Time for me to fill the void. Keep the "dragon" at bay. Have been giving serious thought to dancing lessons and a beginner's class in Hebrew.

Some one took down my sign. No one has said anything, but I doubt they saw the humor in it.

All in all, this is what a defiant old fat man looked like from this past weekend. The "dragon" won for a time.

But not always...

No comments: