Monday, April 20, 2009

...no offense, Mike, but no one is really interested in listening to you pontificating...

The heading sums up my evening, as my adoring wife made that comment to me while we were headed out to dinner. I wonder if Rodney Dangerfield felt this way?

Opening weekend came and went, and I'm still standing if but barely. Today I felt like a zombie, or like a balloon with the air let out. Coupling all the park activity was an "afterprom" party at Blue Valley High School, which I did with 4 other caricature artists. Gigs like that are generally fun, and the kids there were well mannered and polite. By that time of night, it became exhausting to draw as I'd already had easel time at the park for a shift. Most of the time, I really don't like my park sketches. They're passable, but nothing I feel is that fantastic. Every now and again, I get some good ones. And I'm told I need to believe more in my abilities. Probably I'm due for some artistic growth. I hope so.

We auditioned only one artist to start the season, as we had a lot of returners...a good sign when that many vets are available. We tried some photos to work with as live models were a scarcity this year. Here's my version of one, and I liked it...


Before taking off for the gig, I had one more drawing at the park. I hope this one is view-able on the blog. The "subjects" seemed to like it, and were the types of faces that most caricature artists wait for. Drawing kids and teenyboppers does get old as they will just blend together after a while. This one was fun...


That's it for tonight. I have an important decision to make and give my answer by morning. Wish I still didn't feel so beat.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm interested, Mike. Keep pontificating.

Also, keep in mind that this can also be a place for you to write out what's on your mind. Sort of like talking to yourself...with an audience! :-)

Mike Worley said...

Talking to myself with an audience???!!! Now THAT is scary!