Sunday, November 15, 2009

"I once went to Philadelphia, but it was closed..."

by Mike Worley

One of my favorite W. C. Fields quotes. In this case, Becky and I went to Iowa, but it was closed. Or the misadventure that was our trip across the border.

One thing bad about "seasonal" work is that eventually the season is over. And now that I have some time to do some things, I now find that off-season really does suck. I-CON was held at the Adventureland Inn in Altoona, IA, and it is right next door to...(drum roll, please)...(wait for it)...Adventureland, Iowa's premier theme/amusement park! My own mental health is at question, because the first thing I wanted to do was to see I could get a tour of Adventureland. You'd think I'd had enough of amusement parks, having lived at Worlds of Fun, but nooooooooooooooooo. Needless to say, I got blank stares from the hotel staff and a lot of "...but it's closed..." remarks. Anyway, here is a pic of the outside of the Adventureland Inn. The "plum" colored PT Cruiser is my wife's car, nicknamed, "The Purple Nurple"...


In past trips "up north" we've been able to go through the Living History Farm, which my wife always enjoys, but as our fate would have it...it was closed for the year. This is as close as we got...


Further proof that Sunday was going to suck. Here's the museum/gift shop in all its abandoned and desolate glory...


Here's my blushing bride stomping out of the "Purple Nurple" with a "what the...?" kind of vibe going on...


We ended up going to the Machine Shed restaurant, which DID happen to be open, and had to endure countless regaling as to the death of the University of Iowa's football season now that their star QB is hurt. This is our last shot at the Living History Farm as we were wondering if we'd get into trouble if we just hopped the fence and did our own tour...


We came home with a new puppy! There was a place that had them to adopt and we got a good deal on a rare Asian breed. Our other dogs, Daisy and Sally, are still quite a hand full, but this pup had a gentle and sweet demeanor...


Instead of renaming her, we kept the oriental name she had. It's a bit hard to pronounce, but it's "T'Ohwhai." Here she is being playful...


We took her to the Turner's for the BBQ they had. She wasn't very good as she not only wet on their hardwood floors, but also humped Aaron's leg. Bad T'Ohwhai! Here she is wanting her tummy scratched...


I was hoping to take her to the Artists' Jam in Omaha this coming weekend, but I have too many other activities fouling that up. Here's T'Ohwhai being playful...

The other dogs don't seem to like her. Both Daisy and Sally bit at her. We may have to get rid of them.

Jim Woodyard and I did talk some business, as evidenced in a previous post and pic. Here's what kind of came out of that. Monsters and Archie are two of my favorite things, so here's a first draft of a cheerleading squad...


Got to go now. Have some more "super secret" stuff to work on, and some drawing. Also, T'Ohwhai is needing to go to bed.

'Bye now!

No comments: