Thursday, September 25, 2008

a short trip...

My wife and I took a "mini-vacation" last week to Carthage, MO. I was scheduled to do a cartooning workshop at the local library, and thought it would make a great excuse to get out of town.

I didn't know much about Carthage. Doing some digging, I found out it's the home to my favorite salad dressing, "Otts." It also was the site of an important Civil War battle, and is on "historic" Route 66. The Precious Moments Chapel is there, too, and we stayed at the Precious Moments Hotel.

The library is one of the few remaining Carnegie libraries still in active use. And there was a great garden area around it with statuary. Here's one to "Alice in Wonderland"...This one is to Marlin Perkins of "Wild Kingdom" fame, who was born in Carthage...

The inside of the library still had the original decoration and columns......and a great domed ceiling...

All in all, it seemed like a view of real "Americana," and probably very right-wing, righteous, and Republican. Lots of huge churches of every flavor. Lots of history and community pride. And great big houses my wife fell in love with. I wish I could make it back for their "Maple Leaf" Festival, but I don't think that's happening this year.

Sorry for no drawings today. Probably not tomorrow, either. But I will have pics of "a snake in the garden" as I continue with our trip log, and lastly a mini-essay on our visit to the Precious Moments Chapel the day after. Then some drawings, I promise.

PS--Today also corresponds to Elul 25 on the Jewish calendar, and is considered by many Rabbis as the anniversary of Creation. If you are unsure of what I'm talking about, it begins with Genesis 1:1. "L'Shanah Tovah!"

No comments: