Sunday, March 29, 2009

the art of the con...

To see the full image, just click on it...

It's amazing how some of the stuff you do comes back to "haunt" you. The initial image was done in '92, I think. Anyway, I was commissioned to do this years ago at a convention, and the image, somehow, has made the circuit among Legion fans. I have even had some inquiries as to a few recreations of it, and some "new imaginings" Ah! The joy, quirkiness and fascination of comics fandom!

This past weekend found me at Planet Comicon, put on by organizer, Chris Jackson. I have been in a funk and almost didn't go, but am glad folks around me, most notably my wife and my friend, Grant, goaded me into attending. I ended up have a really good time, inspite of the snow that fell Saturday.

I had been inking some rough sketches for my friend, Monte May, to help promote his online strip, "P.I.G. Tales," and gave them to him at the show. Here's how they turned out. First up is Officer Sanchez. She's the first one I got done...


The strip started years ago as banter between Monte and myself. I had caricatured him as the main character for a "police inspired graphic" tales, (hence, P.I.G. Tales) and we called the character, "Officer P. K. Wood"--as in "a green officer and a white boy working da' hood"--aka "peckerwood." He has revamped the character, and now he is known as "Sketch"...


Possibly the funniest character he has, is his Judge Dredd inspired chauvinist, "Stumpy"...


Other female officers include one I only know as "Bike Girl"...

...and a busty babe known as "Officer Jones"...


A duo in his strip include Linwood and Troost, surprisingly named after an intersection in the city. Like I stated earlier, he did roughs, which allowed me some leaway to interpret. Sometimes it doesn't go right. Monte's comment after telling me it was a great job was, "...he's supposed to be black." Whoops! Guess I'll be redoing this one!...

His partner, "Troost," is quite a womanizer, and like my own "church lothario," is very "rooster" inspired...


And you have to have the old salt of the group. He's "Scooter"...


My favorite of his characters is "Officer Smith," who is actually dead, but is too stubborn to fall over...


I met a lot of great artists and fans this past weekend. One of my highlights was to be situated where I had a great view of a "Mary Ann" from the "Real Gilligan's Island." Quite a beauty! And at the Elite Comics booths was a gorgeous girl in a Supergirl-inspired outfit named Jessica. I drew this "cartoon version" of her, and she liked it. So I promised to do an inked version to send to her. I'll keep the progress posted here. Here's how my initial sketch turned out...


Enjoy!

No comments: