Tuesday, October 27, 2009

doin' what comes naturally...

by Mike Worley

I've been showing stuff that we've been doing at the park to bolster sales. At this point, it's all been about the Airbrush T-shirt shop. But one of my favorite operations happens to be the Rice jewelry we do. It's attached to our body art operations, and contrary to popular opinion, I don't really like drawing on people, especially scantly clad teeny boppers wanting henna tattoos on their stomachs or backsides, nor the little kids wanting facepaints. Not my thang! But the Rice jewelry appeals to me because it's an actual object. A trinket. But like everything else, sales have been down. So I came up with a sale with my body art lead to goose sales. To cash in on the "Twilight" craze, here's what we have...


I got the wild idea to add "moons" to the jewelry. Glow-in-the-dark moons. I searched Michael's and Hobby Lobby, but could not come up with a glow-in-the-dark bead. So I came up with the lame idea of using flourescent Sculpy and making them myself. Needless to say, it was little more than rolling boogers, something my wife commented on as finally putting something I'm good at to good use. She also said I took waaaaaayyyy too much time on each little moon. And they had to fit inside the rice vials, so they couldn't be very big. Here's the before...

...and here's my glow-in-the-dark booger/moons baked...

The only thing missing was the joy of flicking the boogers, and the feeling of projecting a snot rocket. But I can do that without Sculpy.

I did do some drawing, which was fun. Here's a Simpson-ized version of my Body Art lead, Jessica, first in black and white, then in color...



And lastly, an homage to the great William Campbell, creator of the "Weird-Ohs!" My own Wade A Sekund, based on his Wade A. Minute for the Hawk model company...


Be good!

No comments: